Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day1

So, I was talking to my friend Heather last night about lent. I have observed lent off and on for the past few years (probably closer to a decade). I have given up coffee/caffeine on a number of occasions. I gave up TV (unsuccessfully) one year. Last your I made a duel sacrifice and gave up caffeine and the vending machine at work (both successfully). However, I realized by talking to Heather last night, that I have always treated this 40 days like a competition with myself, or a mini-resolution. I don't recall ever having a Divine moment as a result of my sacrifice. I also, don't recall gaining any introspective knowledge. I rarely spend time filling the moments I would spend on prepping coffee, watching a show, or going to the vending machine, on being with Jesus much. I just fill it with more "stuff". As a result, the communion with God that my grand gestures should be a representation of, is not accomplished. Therefore, I'm not giving anything up this year. I had toyed with the grand idea of giving up refined sugar. Considering this is something I need to do any way, I'm just going to work my way to that goal, and leave the half-hearted expression to Jesus out of it. Instead I am going to give something. I am just going to give my time to Jesus. As a result I will be blogging about my Jesus time each day. I will allow myself 30minutes total to tell people about how I see Jesus, how I showed Jesus, or how I have let Jesus use me. I have no idea what this will look like or sound like. I may post pictures, poetry, or just blabber on and on.

So this is Day 1.
I am planning a shower for 2 friends of mine (co-workers). God has been working on me to be a better housekeeper, so that in turn I can be a host. Opening my home says many thing about who I say that I am. I know that when others open there home to me, I feel greatly blessed. I would like to bless others. So when I post that I am cleaning, you will all know that I'm opening my home to be a place where people meet Jesus through me.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome!! I've never really thought about it in that exact way before...way to go, Mick!

    ReplyDelete